BYLAWS of the Global Engineering Deans Council (GEDC)
I: NAME AND MISSION
The name of this council is the Global Engineering Deans Council, hereinafter referred to as “GEDC”. The GEDC is an affiliate of the International Federation of Engineering Education Societies (IFEES).
The mission of the GEDC is to serve as a global network of engineering deans, and to leverage these deans’ collective strengths for the advancement of engineering education, research and service to the global community.
1. Provide a world-wide forum for exchange of information, discussion of experiences, challenges and best practices in leading an engineering program.
2. Provide a means for engineering deans to partner with one another in curriculum development and innovation, and to collaborate with industry and other stakeholders.
3. Build a network that would support engineering deans in playing a leadership role in the development of regional, national and international policies.
4. Actively participate in the development and maintenance of a global system of quality standards for engineering education.
1. The GEDC shall be made up of individuals meeting one or more of the following criteria:
a) A rector/president/provost/chief academic officer of a technical university, dean of a college/school of engineering, or a similarly titled person in charge of an engineering college, school or faculty at a university. In an institution without a dean or equivalent engineering leader or in an institution with multiple engineering leaders, the institution will be asked to designate a single representative for the institution.
b) A person in charge of an education institution of higher learning that is primarily focused on engineering education and research.
c) A person in charge of an engineering deans organization in a respective country and/or region.
d) A person who is highly distinguished in the field of engineering education and has been invited by GEDC leadership to join the organization as a GEDC Ambassador.
2. Individuals seeking membership in the GEDC shall submit their names to the GEDC Executive Secretary and include information that indicates how they meet one or more of the criteria of item 1 above. The Executive Secretary shall submit names to the Officers of the GEDC. Approval of membership shall require a majority vote from the GEDC Officers.
3. Other categories of membership may be developed through processes defined in the GEDC Operating Guidelines.
4. Any member may withdraw from the GEDC by informing the Executive Secretary or the Chair in writing. Withdrawal will take effect upon acknowledgement of the request to withdraw.
5. Any member who does not attend at least one annual meeting over a three year period and does not pay any required fees will be removed from the GEDC.
6. The GEDC may develop, approve and implement a fee structure through processes defined in the GEDC Operating Guidelines.
IV: ELECTIONS AND SUCCESSION OF OFFICERS AND EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
1. The members of the Executive Committee of the GEDC shall consist of a Chair, a Chair Elect, a Secretary/Treasurer, the Immediate Past Chair, and 18 members-at-large (representing various geographic regions), and the Executive Secretary as an ex-officio non-voting member.
2. The Officers of the Council shall consist of the Chair, the Secretary/Treasurer, either the Chair Elect or the Immediate Past Chair, and the Executive Secretary as an ex-officio non-voting member.
3. The Chair of the GEDC Executive Committee will identify and appoint members of the Nominations Committee which shall comprise three appointed members plus the Immediate Past Chair. The Nominations Committee will solicit names annually from the GEDC members and shortlist them for election to the Executive Committee. Ballots for Chair Elect and Secretary/Treasurer will have at least two candidates for each position. Ballots for members-at-large will include at least 50% more candidates than positions available.
4. The members of the GEDC will elect a Chair Elect and a Secretary/Treasurer, and Executive Committee members-at-large. The Chair Elect will serve a one-year term, succeed to Chair for a two-year term, and then to Immediate Past Chair for a one-year term. The Immediate Past Chair is not eligible for immediate nomination for Chair Elect. The Secretary/Treasurer will serve a one-year term and may be reelected for up to two successive terms. Members-at-large will serve for staggered three-year terms with one-third being elected each year.
5. Eligibility to be nominated as an Officer or Executive Committee member and eligibility to vote shall be as specified in the GEDC Operating Guidelines.
6. Elections will be conducted by electronic ballot before July 1 of the GEDC fiscal year. The GEDC fiscal year begins October 1.
7. In case of vacancy in the office of the Chair, the Chair Elect shall succeed to the position of Chair and serve out the term of the departed chair plus a portion of a term needed to complete a full two-year term before the next annual election. In case of vacancy in the office of Chair Elect or the Secretary/Treasurer, the GEDC Executive Committee will select a new Chair Elect or Secretary/Treasurer from the candidates nominated in the most recent election. If that individual is unable to serve or if the GEDC Executive Committee is unable to agree on a suitable candidate, a new Chair Elect or Secretary/Treasurer will be selected by a vote of the GEDC members during the next annual election. Vacancies in the member-at-large positions will be filled by a vote of the GEDC members during the next annual election, with shortest term vacancies filled by candidates receiving fewer votes.
8. In the absence of the Chair, the Chair Elect or Immediate Past Chair shall serve as Chair at any function or meeting of the Executive Committee or other GEDC meeting.
9. The Chair of the GEDC Executive Committee will be an ex-officio (voting) member of the Executive Committee of IFEES and will represent the GEDC on the IFEES Executive Committee.
10. The President, President-Elect and Secretary General of the IFEES shall be ex officio (non-voting) members of the Executive Committee of GEDC.
11. Any member of the Executive Committee who ceases to be a member of the GEDC will also cease to be a member of the Executive Committee.
V: FUNCTIONS OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE AND OFFICERS
1. The Executive Committee shall act as the executive body of the GEDC, being responsible for all functions and activities to satisfy the objectives set forth in Article II of these bylaws.
2. The Executive Committee shall prioritize the activities of the GEDC.
3. During intervals between meetings of the GEDC, the Executive Committee shall formulate the general policies of the GEDC.
4. The Officers of the GEDC in cooperation with the Executive Secretary will, before May 1 of each year, prepare a budget for the following fiscal year. This shall be submitted to the GEDC Executive Committee for approval. Once the budget is approved, the Chair will share a copy with the President of IFEES.
5. A quorum of the Executive Committee shall be 25% of its voting members for the transaction of business.
6. The Executive Committee shall approve the GEDC Operating Guidelines and communicate them to the membership.
VI: EXECUTIVE SECRETARY AND SECRETARIAT
1. The GEDC Secretariat will be reviewed every five years, beginning from the Inaugural meeting of the GEDC in Paris on 8 May 2008. A change in the Secretariat will be made at the discretion of the Executive Committee, consistent with voting procedures. The Secretariat may be re-appointed for additional terms.
2. The Executive Secretary will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the GEDC.
3. The Executive Secretary will be approved by the Executive Committee. The term of office will be five years, unless the Executive Secretary is removed by a vote of two-thirds of the Executive Committee; the Executive Secretary may resign the post without notice. The Executive Secretary may be re-appointed for additional terms.
1. A general assembly of the GEDC shall be held annually. The time and venue of the general assembly of the GEDC shall be announced to the membership of the Council not less than sixty (60) days before the date of the general assembly.
2. The General Assembly and any special meetings of the GEDC shall be called as needed by the Chair of the Executive Committee, with agreement of the majority of the Executive Committee. The members will be provided at least fifteen (15) days advance notice.
3. A quorum at any regular or special meeting of the GEDC shall be at least 15% of the membership.
4. Meetings of the Executive Committee of the GEDC may be called by the Chair as needed upon fifteen (15) days notice to the members of the Executive Committee. Members may participate in person or electronically.
5. Business meetings may only be attended by voting members; no substitute or alternate may attend for a member unless explicitly authorized for a particular meeting by the Officers. Proxy voting is not allowed.
6. The Officers shall submit a report of the Executive Committee activities at each annual general assembly of the GEDC.
The Chair, with the advice and approval of the Executive Committee, shall appoint such committees as are deemed necessary and designate the Committee Chair thereof.
VIII: AMENDMENTS TO BYLAWS
1. These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members of the GEDC present and voting at any annual meeting, with at least 25% of membership present.
2. Amendments to be presented for action at the annual meeting shall be circulated to the members of the Council by mail, not less than fifteen (15) days prior to the annual meeting.
3. These bylaws also may be amended by a two-thirds majority of all votes cast in an email ballot, provided that ballots are received from at least 50% of the members of the GEDC.
4. A closing date of sixty (60) days after the ballot mailing date will be specified and only those ballots received by that date will be counted.
5. Amendments may be submitted by a majority vote of the Executive Committee of the GEDC or by a petition to the Executive Committee signed by not less than ten (10) members of the GEDC.