Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
Dean, College of Engineering
Electrical Engineering, UMIST, UK, 1998
Electrical Engineering, UMIST, UK, 1993
Electrical Engineering, SQU, Oman, 1991
Academic records with SQU
Associate Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept. May 2008 – Present
Assistance Dean for Student Academic Affairs, College Of Engineering Sept. 2002 – 2006
Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept. Dec. 1998 – May 2008
Lecturer, Electrical & Electronics Engineering Dept, Sept. 1993- Sept. 1995.
Demonstrator, Electrical & Electronics Engineering Dept. Sept. 1991- Sept. 1992
Other Related Experience
2006-2007: Sabbatical leaves, 25th August 2006– 24th August 2007, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
2005: Fulbright Scholarship, 9th June – 8th Sept., 2005, UALR, Arkansas, USA
Research leave (Summer 2003), University of Aachen, Germany
PRINCIPAL PUBLICATIONS within the last 5 years (Selected)
· I.A. Metwally and A. Al-Badi, “Effectiveness of the Pulse Cathodic-Protection Systems used for Well Casings”, The Journal of Corrosion Engineering Science and Technology (JCST), Accepted on 9 June 2008 (in press).
· A.H. Al-Badi, M. A. Salam, " A Finite Element Approach for Modeling the Capacitive Coupling in Conductors Installed nearby AC Power Lines" IJCSES International Journal of Computer Sciences and Engineering Systems, Vol.3, No.2, April 2009
· A.H. Al-Badi, S. M. Ghania, E. F. EL-Saadany,”Prediction of Metallic Conductor Voltage owing to Electromagnetic Coupling Using Neural Fuzzy Modeling”, accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery (e-mail, 4th April 08).
· A. H. Al-Badi: "Comparative Investigation of Pipeline Potential to nearby Cables and Power lines-Practical Study Case ", International Journal of Applied Engineering Research (IJAER), ISSN 0973-4562 Volume 2, Number 4 (2007), pp. 699–707
· A. H. Al-Badi, K. A. Ellithy, S. Al-Alawi” Predicting the Total Pipeline Voltage Installed In High Voltage Ac Corridors By Using An Artificial Neural Network”, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research (IJAER), ISSN 0973-4562 Volume 2, Number 4 (2007), pp. 659–669
· A. H. Al-Badi, K. El-Metwally, A. Gastli” Neuro Fuzzy Modeling of Axial Field Machines Behavior”, International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Volume 26, Issue 2, 2007, pp. 407-417.
· I.A. Metwally, A. Gastli, M.M. Ahmed, A. Al-Badi and M.M. Hassni, “Surge Arrester Performance under AC Artificial Pollution and Impulse Conditions: A Comparative Investigation”, Journal of Electric Power Components and Systems (EPCS), Vol. 34, No. 11, November 2006, pp. 1243-1251.
· A. H. Al-Badi, I.A. Metwally " Induced Voltages on Pipelines Installed in Corridors of AC power Lines", Journal of Electric Power components & Systems, Vol. 34, No. 6, June 2006, pp. 671-679.
· A. H. Al-Badi, H. Al-Rizzo" Simulation of Electromagnetic Coupling on Pipelines close to Overhead Transmission Lines: A Parametric Study", Journal of Communications Software and Systems (JCOMSS), Vol.1, Number 2, Dec. 2005, pp. 116-125.
· A. H. Al-Badi, A. Gastli, J. Jervase” Algorithms for Automatic Torus Motor Parameters Identification: Comparative Study” , International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 24 No 4, 2005, pp. 1299-1310.
· K. Ellithy, A. H. Al-Badi, S. Al-Alawi: “An artificial neural network model for predicting electromagnetic interference effects on gas pipelines built in power lines row”
· Accepted for publication in International Journal of Engineering Intelligent System, acceptance letter 6th of April 2004.
· S. Al-Alawi, A. Al-Badi and K. Ellithy, "An Artificial Network Model for Predicting Gas Pipeline Induced Voltage Caused by Power Line Fault Conditions", International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (COMPEL), Vol. 25, pp 69-79. N 1, 2005.
· S. Al-Alawi, A. H. Al-Badi, K. Ellithy “An artificial neural network model for predicting gas pipeline induced voltage caused by power lines under fault conditions” Accepted for publication in International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, acceptance letter 8th of Dec. 2003.
· A. H. Al-Badi, A. Gastli: ”Dynamic model of Torus motor drive using ANN and FSE methods for back EMF estimation” Journal of Electric Power Components & Systems, Vol. 32, No. 6, June 2004, pp. 555-569.
Conference Proceedings Articles (Selected).
· A.H. Al-Badi, Issa Al-Zidi, Fahad Al-Amri, Humoud Al-Salmi and Ali AlMaamari,” Estimation of Population Exposure to Transmission Line Magnetic Field”, Industrial Applications of Energy Systems ( I A E S 2 0 0 8 ), Sohar University, Sultanate of Oman, April 1-2, 2008, pp. 35-40.
· A. Al-Hinai, and A. H. Al-Badi “Parameters Identification of 11-Phase Torus Generator Using Particle Swarm Optimization Technique”, Proc. of IEEE Power Engineering General Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, July 20-24, 2008
· I.A. Metwally, A. Al-Badi,” Well-casing conventional and pulse cathodic-protection systems: a comparative investigation”, 6th International Engineering Conference, IEC 2008, Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, March 18-23, 2008
· A. H. Al-Badi, S. M. Ghania, A. H. Kasem and E. F. EL-Saadany, ”Calculation Of Metallic Conductor Voltage Due To Electromagnetic Coupling Using Neural Fuzzy Modeling”, 5th International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 5 - 9 December 2007, Bursa – TURKEY, pp. 237-241.
· A.H. Al-Badi, E.F. EL-Saadany “Safe Separation Distance between 132kv Power Lines and Nearby Metallic Conductors”, Int. Conf. on Communication, Computer and Power (ICCCP'07, Muscat, Oman, Feb. 2007, pp. 447-450, Sponsors by IEEE.
· E.F. El-Saadany, H. H. Zeineldin and A.H. Al-Badi” Distributed Generation: Benefits and Challenges”, Int. Conf. on Communication, Computer and Power (ICCCP'07, Muscat, Oman, Feb. 2007, pp. 115-119.
· A. H. Al-Badi, M. A. Salam "Computation of the Capacitive Coupling in Conductors Installed nearby AC Power Lines" IEEE PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition Latin America, Venezuela, August 2006.
· A.H. Al-Badi "Factors affecting the level of Electromagnetic Coupling on Pipelines close to OHTLs", International Conference on Intelligent Systems (ICIS-2005), Malaysia, Dec. 2005.
· A. H. Al-Badi, A. Gastli, G. Jervase "GA-Based Motor Parameters Identification", Int. Conf. on Communication, Computer and Power (ICCCP'05), Muscat, Oman, Feb. 2005, pp. 469-474.
· A.H. Al-Badi “ Analysis of Factors affecting the level of Electromagnetic Interference on Pipelines close to Power Lines “ Int. Conf. On Power Engineering Conference (ICOPES’04) Brazil, Oct. 12-15, 2004.
Technical Reports (Selected)
· A. Al-Badi "guidelines for pipeline installation close to overhead transmission lines", final report, petroleum development oman (pdo), muscat, sultanate of oman, february 2006.
· A. Al-Badi "safe separation distance between power line and pipeline", final report, petroleum development oman (pdo), muscat, sultanate of oman, march 2005.
· A. Al-Badi “132 kv power connection from national grid to oman india fertilizer company s.a.o.c. (omifco)-mitigation of effects on buried pipeline located close to 132kv overhead line/ cable" final report, petroleum development oman (pdo), muscat, sultanate of oman, dec. 2004.
· A.Gastli, I.A. Metwally, M.M. Ahmed, A. Al-Badi “Failure Identification and Analysis of PDO HV Motors”, Final Report, Petroleum Development Oman (PDO), Muscat, Sultanate of Oman, Nov. 2004.
· A. Al-Badi and K. Ellithy “Mitigation of AC Induced Voltage on Pipeline located close to Power Line”, Final Report, Petroleum Development Oman (PDO), Muscat, Sultanate of Oman, Feb. 2004.
SOCIAL AND Organizational Activities
· Chairman of the Sponsorship Committee ICCCP’09 Conference, 2009.
· Chairman of the Publicity Committee ICCCP’05 Conference, 2005.
· Chairing the Engineering Committee with Ministry of Higher Education.
Professional and Scientific Societies
· Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineering and Electronics (IEEE) (2008 to Present)
· Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineering and Electronics (IEEE) (1994 to 2008)
· Associate Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEE) (1995-2002)
· Full member of Oman Society of Engineers (2003-present)
· Session Chair in IASTED International Conference, Canada 2000
Curriculum & Academic Policies Committee, Deputy Chair of Grievances Committee, Course and Instructor Evaluation
Chair of Curriculum Committee, Member of the Executive Committee, Member of Accreditation Committee, Member of the College Strategic Planning and Development Committee, Chair, Sub-Committee to the General Committee for Training, Member of the Editorial Board in Sultan Qaboos University Journal for Scientific Research- Science and Technology.